21 October 2013

The go-to cupcake recipe

Whenever I need to whip up a batch of cupcakes for school fairs, church bake sales or simply because Monkey and Moo need keeping busy on a rainy Saturday morning. This is my "go-to" recipe. It's adapted from this little gem The BIG book of Baking.

The recipe I use is a standard fairy cake recipe, I make a few subtle changes to get it just the way we like it, particularly I like to add flavouring, occasionally colour, and changing the method slightly. 

You will need 
115g unsalted butter or baking margerine
115g caster sugar
2 large eggs
115g self raising flour
5ml vanilla extract or other flavouring(I favour Caramel essence, but use whatever you like)

Here's what to do. 
Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. (I'm getting lazy since having Monkey-Moos so use the electric mixer instead of elbow grease)
Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition. Add the flavouring with the last egg addition.
Fold in the flour until just mixed. Don't over mix. 
Spoon the mixture into cupcake cases. Filling to about three quarters full. 
Place in pre heated oven 180' C for 15-20 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean. 

And the finished result awaiting the decorative icing skills of two little MonkeyMoos. 


Enjoy!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment