10 February 2014

Superhero hullabaloo.

Monkey-Moo number one is Seven! It's happened so ridiculously fast! He wanted a Superhero extravaganza, and at the last minute, while I was in full superhero swing, decided this needed to incorporate a pizza making party too!
A week ahead of the party I was happily sewing up superhero masks and packing up superhero party bags.
Our lovely niece (aged one) was recipient of the cutesy pink mask, since she was the only girl in attendance!

I hadn't used my sewing machine in years, and yet still found the instructions and templates very simple to work with. 

Next was time to set about getting all the cupcakes ready. Back to my Pinterest board. There wasn't really one pin in particular that inspired the Avengers cupcakes, but more a mashup of several pins I'd seen.
I was very pleased with the results, and at the last minute ditched Thor and doubled up all the others- mainly as I was running out of time and the cake had cooled and I really needed to move onto icing that.

Monkey-Moo was over the moon with Ironman! It was by far his favourite! Little Monkey-Moo was all about my Captain America version, since I'd substituted the A for a star! He is a funny one that Monkey-Moo.
Right back to the cake! I was blown away by one I'd seen (and yes, it too is on my Pinterest board!) but realising that my skills were not up to that challenge I set about creating a similar, simpler, smaller cake! (here's the inspiration)

Paper, pencil and freehand drawing, I came up with a template for the Avengers faces, trying not to make them too scary, and to keep them in a similar "cartoonish" fashion.
 
I simply rolled out the fondant (store bought, coloured fondant) cut around my templates and set the pieces of fondant together until I was happy with the facial construction. The eyes were trickiest, but in the end both Monkey-Moos and I were happy they looked as they should!
 
Ironman and Thor were last to be constructed (juggled is more appropriate, as I was cooking dinner at the same time by this stage!)
Once the cake was iced in a lovely light blue, I set about "pasting" the faces at regular intervals around the cake, all the while trying to cover the "faults" and "folds" in my unskilled icing techniques! Eek!

Final touches with a few orange stars, and I think the cake was good enough to impress a room full of six and seven year olds!
 
 
It wasn't until the middle of the night, that I sat bolt upright in bed, realising that I'd completely forgotten to do Thor's hair!
 
After a lot of fun, stretching pizza dough and making some really wonderfully strange pizzas, the party was in full swing! All the boys were having so much fun, dressed up as Superhero's (mainly Ironman, although Thor and Captain America did make an appearance)  And then as quick as a flash, it was time to do cake!
 
We had one very pleased Superhero!


And one really exhausted Mom of Two Monkey-Moos!

No comments:

Post a Comment